Indie Author Excerpts
Welcome! Indie Author Excerpts is a feature allowing indie authors the chance to showcase one of their books and allows readers to find their next favorite story. Each week, an indie author gets to promote a 1-2 page excerpt of their book here at The Bawdy Book Blog. This is a win-win for everyone! This feature was inspired in part by Indie Author Spotlight, a meme hosted by Beckie @ Bittersweet Enchantment and CYP @ A Bookalicious Story.
What Is An “Indie Author” Anyway?
Some would say it’s anyone who is self-published. After speaking with an author friend of mine, we’ve determined it’s any author who is not published at one of the Big Six publishing houses (or their imprints); that is to say, Random House, Macmillan, HarperCollins, Hachette, Penguin, and Simon & Schuster. Why was it decided this way? Simply put, rather than having a team of publicists and PR agents at their disposal, authors at smaller publishers still typically have to self-promote. And that’s a lot of hard work.
How I Came Up With This Idea
This feature was created because I was receiving so many emails from authors and publicists, requesting to review their work, but I just didn’t have the time – and, I’ll be very honest, sometimes the interest – to review their books. But I know authors pour their souls into their books and I wanted a way to still help them get their books out there. I have a lot of respect for the guts it takes to work so hard on something and then push it out into the world and say, “Review this! Tell people how you really feel about it.”
So Indie Author Excerpts was born.
Click here to be taken to all the Indie Author Excerpts posts.
Are you an author that would like to be featured in Indie Author Excerpts? If so, fill out the form below. I’ll be in touch if your book gets selected to be an Excerpt.
WE ARE BACKED UP WHILE WE INSTALL A NEW WIDGET/PLUGIN THAT WILL GIVE YOU MORE EXPOSURE! WE APPRECIATE YOUR PATIENCE WHILE WE MAKE ADJUSTMENTS TO OLD POSTS AND RETURN EMAILS AND SIGN-UP QUERIES.
What kind of novels can be featured in Indie Author Excerpts?
– Any genre I list as a genre I read (so no erotica, BDSM, m/m or f/f, etc):
- Young Adult
- Paranormal Fiction
- Urban Fantasy
- Dystopian/Speculative Fiction
- Dark Fantasy
- Southern Gothic
Do I need to be self-published to be featured?
-No. You just cannot be published by Macmillan, Random House, Hachette, Penguin, HarperCollins or Simon & Schuster.
Can my scene be a sexy scene?
–Let’s keep it PG13. We have a mixed audience here at The Bawdy Book Blog, and we’d hate to upset anyone.
Does my novel need to be published to be featured?
-No, it does not need to be published, however, it’s probably a good idea that it’s in at least the last stages of pre-publication, for quotation purposes.
What do you mean, you don’t always have an interest in the review requests you receive? Why feature them here?
– I may have read the synopsis and decided the book was not for me, but that doesn’t mean it’s not for anyone else. Reading experiences are completely subjective and I want to help others find great reading experiences.
How quickly will I be featured if I’m selected?
– Currently , here is a 3-month waiting list. Do not let that keep you from signing up!
How quickly will you contact me once I fill out the form?
– Well, now, there is the conundrum. I do have a full-time, 40-45 hour per week job, and it keeps me busy. I also have a dog, a cat, one demanding parrot, and a fiance. Don’t forget about all the books! I don’t have time to contact every single author who signs up, so I have limited my emails to only those whose books I feel will be a great fit on The Bawdy Book Blog.
NEW SIGN UP FORMAT!
– We’ve done away with the Google Forms format and gone exclusively WordPress and we are now using Gravity Forms. What does this mean for you? Easier sign-ups, you can submit everything in one shot and it’s all housed in one place (and faster response times from me, hurray!).